Navigation Bar

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

It's Easy Being Green

Inspired by Earth Day (and in part by my current WIP, starring a heroine who is fast becoming my healthy-eating, green-living voice of reason), I purchased a couple of books on green living, including The Naturally Clean Home by Karyn Siegel-Maier. This book has several "recipes" for biodegradable, earth-friendly cleaning products. And here's the bonus: they're cheaper too! One box of do-everything borax cost me $2.30, whereas a bottle of off-brand all-purpose spray can cost three times as much. And it's still not gonna be half the workhorse borax is. Other green products that make great cleaning "potions":

* Vinegar
* Baking Soda
* Lemon Juice
* Olive Oil
* Herbs/Spices

You probably have all of these on hand already! I went through my house and removed no less than three totes of hazardous cleaning products which I would be afraid to let my 16-mo son get his hands on. By contrast, cleaning with natural products means using stuff we already eat. It's about three times cheaper, it smells good, and some of it can be used in cooking, too. Can you say that about your cleaning products?

No comments:

Post a Comment