Navigation Bar

Sunday, May 17, 2020

On Love


Christmas in May?

Yes. This is a very difficult blog post, but one I need and want to share with you. As you know, this has been a very difficult year, and we are all struggling. The hits seem to keep coming, and last week was, for me, the biggest hit of all. My 13-year-old son is in the hospital with serious injuries, during a time where I am afraid to have any of us in a crowd of people. During a time when what I want most is to hold close the people who are most dear to me. He can't have both his parents there, so I am without my boy and also without my husband who must be there with him. It would be easy to feel alone right now.

But I am not. And that is making all the difference.

I am with my mom and stepdad, and I have our dog with me. My husband, who is a nurse, is doing the most amazing job at the hospital, looking out for our son and explaining the complicated medical terms and procedures in a way that will make our boy feel more confident. My job has been to provide supportive videos and pictures from my temporary home base so that our son can see them and smile and know how loved he is. How loved we all are.

And we are, so much.

I know I have friends and family. It is one of those things you kind of know, off the top of your head, but never really get a chance to understand to its full extent until something like this happens. Our friends and family have banded around us so strongly that I can't help but feel the love and healing. It is what gets me through the difficult nights without my boys. It is so strong that it filters through the phone to my husband and son, a beam of light and love that fills our lives.

And it's working. Our son is taking steps forward every day. I am so thankful for every victory, and more so knowing that you all have helped create it.

To our family, thank you for always having our back. To our friends, thank you for your love and for being the family we chose. And to my writer friends? My God, I know I have been writing for a lot of years now, but to see the extent of love from all of you? People I would never have met if I hadn't answered an ad for a writing workshop all those years ago? You will never know how grateful I am to have you in my life for so many reasons, and this is just one more on top of that very amazing, incredible pile of good in my life.

Thank you all. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. For helping me help our son. For loving us.

Because I promise you, when 2020 is over, THAT is what I will remember about it. So. Much. Love.

XOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment