Navigation Bar

Saturday, September 22, 2018

Fall Blessings

I am a very happy woman. Today not only marks the first day of fall, but the achievement of my more than three-month mission toward getting healthy. I finally reached my fitness goal today, losing over 27 pounds and two pant sizes since June 11th when I began tracking what I eat through My Fitness Pal.

Originally, when my doctor asked me to lower my cholesterol, I was a bit skeptical. I told her I don't want to go on medication for it, and she agreed. Five or so pounds ought to do it, she told me. I thought, "Five pounds? That's easy. That's water weight." I paid a little attention to getting more fiber into my diet, and less fast food. When I went back for my next cholesterol check, however, it was higher. Clearly, what I was doing wasn't working.

What Now?

I then decided that something had to change. Either I was going to have to adjust what I put into my body, or go on medication. Fortunately, my doctor was willing to let me try again to lower that cholesterol, medication-free. She suggested the My Fitness Pal app, which tracks nutrition and calories for you either by entering what you eat and the exercise you do for the day, or by scanning the bar codes on your food. All I had to do was plug in my current weight, then set a goal weight (which I estimated based on several online calculators for my age, weight, and body type). After that, I made sure to scan or enter what I ate each day, add the exercises and their duration, and log how much water I drank. How much easier can it get? This is nutrition management for the lazy!

Well, it worked. Here I am, on September 22nd, three months and eleven days into this lifestyle change, and I feel amazing. My knees and hips don't hurt, and I can keep up with my busy family more. It's also been a lot of fun to get new clothes at the Salvation Army, which I totally recommend for anyone in the throes of weight loss. I am the world's laziest dieter. I haven't even done much more exercise than usual. Walk the dog here and there. Swim at the beach. Nothing strenuous or arduous.

Glorious Food

I am a much more active participant in my food than I was. I can still eat the occasional fast food meal if I'm judicious about it. A cheeseburger with no bun or condiments. Salad, not fries, with no dressing or a homemade vinaigrette. Water, water, and more water. An egg white sandwich for breakfast instead of one made with a whole egg. Most fast food restaurants are totally willing to accommodate such requests. And I even managed to go out to dinner at the Olive Garden for my wedding anniversary.

But my favorite thing is to find new and delicious foods to eat. I found I love zucchini noodles better than store-bought pastas. Sheet pan chicken breasts and vegetables are so fast and easy to make. I actually enjoy cooking (Mom, don't keel over). I like figuring out healthier options, and my body has been responding to the improved nutrition.

Side Benefit: A Healthier Planet?

Eating better can also be healthier for the environment. I have a certain amount of calories allotted to me per day. I stick to the low end of what's allowed and try to fit in things that might be "missing" in my diet, such as more fiber or calcium. I am finding that the less "processed" a thing is, the better chance I have of getting more food containing fewer calories, with better nutrients. Lots of fresh vegetables, either purchased or out of the garden we put in this year. Lots of it is local if it doesn't come out of my own garden. As you know, if it's local, it's not only fresher but more environmentally friendly. It hasn't had to travel so far to get to you. And if it's less processed, it's cleaner food. I try to eliminate pesticides from most of the things I eat. Not only do I feel better, I am doing our planet a good turn, and that feels wonderful. It doesn't even have to be that expensive. Aldi is my go-to grocery store, with a growing range of organics at great prices.

Ready for the Challenge

The holiday season will arrive soon, with its slew of baked goods and rich foods, but I'm armed with three months of good data and prepared to take on this next hurdle. I can't wait to see what my next blood draw brings. My doctor is over the moon that her suggestion has worked like a charm for me. And if I can do this, and you've been wanting to, know that you definitely, definitely can. Be persistent, and take that jump with me. We've got this.

No comments:

Post a Comment