Navigation Bar

Thursday, February 03, 2022

Adventures in Computing (or, Apple vs. Windows)

It’s no secret that I have a contentious relationship with Windows. I’ve been a Windows user since the dawn of computers, so I know my way around better than the average user. In recent years, however, I’ve lost days of writing productivity to Windows’s whim to update just as soon as I get inspired to sit down and get words in. No writer likes being denied the ability to write, especially when the impulse is hot.

I finally decided that (thanks to my wonderful husband buying me an iPad Pro for Christmas) it’s time to give up the ghost (at least mostly) on Windows. I have long been wanting a slimmer, more streamlined writing device, but the price of an iPad had been a major sticking point. Since Hubby made the decision for me, I’ve been tinkering with the iPad and tailoring it to do those tasks I have always reserved for my laptop. So far, so good. I have cloud storage, an external hard drive to solve some pesky storage issues, a mouse, and a few other apps that help me do things I can’t otherwise accomplish without a laptop. Oh, yeah, and Apple’s Magic Keyboard and Pencil, which are two must-haves if you’re interested in an iPad of your own (and don’t forget Procreate if you’re artsy)!

In short, the iPad isn’t a perfect solution, but it definitely does those lightweight word processing and task functions I need in the course of a day. I may still dust off my laptop if I need certain things (and iPad has yet to allow us access to iTunes), but for now, I’m a fairly happy camper with my Apple experience.

Bonus? Even with the peripherals, I’m not lugging several pounds of equipment around on my shoulder each day. I can live with that!

Happy writing, and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment