Navigation Bar

Sunday, July 28, 2019

Thistle Dew, A Writer's Dream

 

Anyone who has ever met me knows how much I love a house with an old soul. They also know writing feeds something within me. I found both this past weekend at Thistle Dew, a bed and breakfast owned by Andrea and Walter Kaczor. Andrea and Walt are two of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. Andrea, a fellow writer, opened the B&B up to fellow authors several years ago for weekend writing retreats. She and her husband purchased the property and have spent the past several years turning it into the charming getaway it is.


The original stone house was built in 1809 by land agent James Sheldon. Today, the property at Thistle Dew encompasses nearly 300 acres of rolling hills, ponds, a tennis court, barn, cabin, and countless little hideaways fit for walking, exploring, or sitting in peaceful silence. It's full of antiques brimming with history and patina. It is a perfect place to soak in the quiet and let your imagination flow.


I had the distinct pleasure of sharing this wonderful weekend with a handful of other author friends. We each made a meal for part of the weekend, and shared great conversations as well as peaceful nights under the stars. Andrea and Walt explained some of Thistle Dew's rich history, from its beginnings as a tavern and carriage house to hosting officers during the War of 1812. They invited me to explore the property at my leisure, and when indoors, I wandered the house checking out all the interesting collectibles and antiques.



Outside, it is just as much a feast for the senses. Wildlife is everywhere, from deer roaming the fields to birds and pollinators of every variety. Andrea and Walt's dog, Lowca (pronounced "WOLF-ka" and meaning "hunter" in Polish), is the unofficial greeter and host to everyone who stays at Thistle Dew.


Our final evening at Thistle Dew ended with a beautiful rainbow, then sunset. Andrea and Walt saw us off the next morning with goodbyes and invitations to visit again, and I don't doubt I will. It's rare to go away and feel immediately at home where you land, but Thistle Dew is definitely that sort of place. I'm so glad I finally made it there!

No comments:

Post a Comment