Navigation Bar

Monday, June 16, 2014

Movie Review: How To Train Your Dragon 2


 
In Hollywood, it's really, really hard to get a sequel to live up to a blockbuster first film in a series.
 
Dreamworks doesn't seem to know that.  In fact, I'd venture to say Dreamworks knows just about nothing regarding how to make a bad animated film.  They're horrible at bad films.  Really really.
 
But I digress.  Let me first say that it's rare that my migraine-prone hubby wants to see a film in 3D ... but he said we were going to see it in 3D, and he didn't care.
 
So.  Worth.  It.
 
Dragon 2 didn't throw stuff at the screen just because they could.  The 3D effects were integrated very nicely into the storyline, while adding a few cool treats for 3D viewers.  Hiccup and Toothless have grown, and Hiccup is dealing with some more grown-up issues in this film, but he's still Hiccup, and it's still a joy to watch him fly Toothless.  Toothless.  Did I mention Toothless?  I loved the dynamic between these characters in the first film, and that between Hiccup and his dragon-riding friends.  You can't have too much of a good thing, and there's more of that in this film.  I laughed out loud in several places.
 
I have only one knock on this film, and that is its length.  It's too short ... and not because I was having so much fun with it.  I did feel a little rushed from one plot point to the next, and there is a very serious, bring-your-tissues moment that needed more screen time to sink in.  While I understand that there are kids watching the film, and you don't want it to be too "heavy," I was still sniffling by the time the action went on to the next thing, and found myself thinking, "Hey, wait!  Back up!  I'm not done crying yet!"  I felt a little cheated out of that moment.
 
Otherwise, it feels like a return visit to people you love, in order to see what they're up to now.  We have the same characters, older now, and a few new faces, including a character voiced by Game of Thrones star Kit Harington.  If you liked How to Train Your Dragon, you're going to adore the sequel.  Way to go, Dreamworks.  We had a ball with this movie, and I think you will, too.
 
SCORE: 4 of 5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment