Navigation Bar

Friday, April 23, 2010

Tsaheylu* To My Little Friend

"Avatar" was released to DVD and Blu-Ray yesterday, and for the first time ever, I broke down and got a Blu-Ray DVD.

You really can tell the difference between DVD and Blu-Ray (hubby and I took a look at both versions, which came in my copy), even on my ancient television. I don't have a flat-screen yet (prohibitive cost and all, and my TV ain't broke), but I do have a PS3, courtesy of the hubby, and it will play Blu-Ray. My "Oh, what the heck" purchase turned into "Oh, wow!" The picture was surprisingly crisp. Mind you, I don't intend to re-purchase all the DVDs in my movie collection just to get the Blu-Ray versions - but with the new flatscreens coming out by the time I will need one, I probably won't have to.

I was pretty shocked that they released this movie so soon, but the downside is, there are no special features on this disc. (No ads or trailers either.) I believe they are saving those extras for a Fall 2010 release. I'm told they'll be releasing it AGAIN in 3-D next year. Three releases for one movie seems rather wasteful, don't you think? I am irritated that they wasted resources on a version people are going to toss when the bigger, better version comes out (I'll be passing my watered-down one on to a friend who doesn't buy movies as often as me, but likes them). I think I will wait until the fullest version comes out to actually purchase another copy, in the hopes that they'll include all possible formats in the 3-D release. James Cameron is certainly squeezing every possible penny out of this movie, but I'm concerned about how much waste he's producing to do it.

On the upside, the movie is still fabulous. If you don't mind waiting to buy your own, just rent a copy for now. :)

*Tsaheylu (sah-HEY-loo) - the Na'vi word for the bond between the Na'vi, the indigenous people of Pandora in Avatar, and all living things on their planet.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to here you have made the jump to Blu!! The uber Avatar-2D set will arrive just in time for the Holidays. It will feature not one, but three cuts of the film. Theatrical, Extended and a so-called Early cut that will feature the movie in it's non-special effects form. The 3D version is another year away or so do to the lack of 3D TV's on the current market.

    ReplyDelete