Navigation Bar

Saturday, October 03, 2009

World Famous Lipizzaner Stallions

Got to see these beauties last weekend. What a horse geek I am. I sat there in awe for most of it. My favorite parts were the half-pass, a diagonal dressage (equine dancing, for you non-horse types) maneuver, the extended trot, which looks like the horse is floating (really beautiful to see), and of course the "airs above the ground," during which the horse rears up (called a "levade") or jumps into the air (called the "capriole").

Dressage horses are serious athletes. It takes a lot of work to get them into the shape they need to be to perform these maneuvers, and it's breathtaking to watch them do it.

But my favorite part was the Andalusian stallion. If I was awed before, I just about drooled when they brought him out. What a stunner. Check out that gorgeous, heavy mane and tail!



How do I get me one of those?!?! Simply an amazing-looking horse. :)

For more photos of these lovely horses, check out my Facebook page, where you'll find an album of a few of the best pictures that came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment