Navigation Bar

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

RWA vs. E-Pubs

There's been a lot of hullaballoo lately about RWA's position on E-published authors. As it currently stands, E-pubs are not allowed to enter in RWA's RITA contest for published authors, because the books entered must be "mass-produced" in "print" format. See the article at Redlines and Deadlines for more on this topic.

As an author about to be E-published, I feel this alienates a lot of our E-published authors and hopefuls in that arena. I am contracted, so I can't enter the Golden Heart. I am going to be E-pubbed, so even when my book comes out, I won't be allowed to enter the RITA. Where does this leave me? It certainly puts a bad taste in my mouth as to RWA's opinion of me.

I truly think RWA needs to open its collective mind to the fact that E-publishing is not going away, and more and more authors are turning to it as an option to market their work. I'm sure the percentage of E-pubbed members of RWA is growing exponentially, if the growth at my own house, The Wild Rose Press, is any indication. I'd like to see them take more notice of us. Maybe RWA needs to dust off those RITA rules to include a place for E-published work and prove to its dues-paying E-pubs that it cares about us too.

No comments:

Post a Comment