Navigation Bar

Friday, July 14, 2006

I Would Have Written Sooner, But ...

Well, yesterday was a bit of a catastrophe. After a downpour Wednesday night, I came home to a basement flooded with 4-5" of water. Aaaarrrrgh. DH and I made it to the hardware store just in time to buy their very last pump, which managed to take out the water, then quit on us, and during the two hours of sleep my exhausted husband got, it started to flood again. We spent yesterday with mop, bucket, fan, and waterproof boots cleaning up the damage. It took until this morning to get the water to recede. With more rain in the forecast, I'm leery of another flooding episode, and watching our basement drain like a hawk.

Ah, the joys of home ownership.

On the plus side, I believe we've saved our furnace, water heater, washer and dryer, but I'm not holding my breath that this headache is over until we have everything looked at by a professional. Mother Nature has had her laugh, all right. Nothing like a flood to hand you your humility back. The lesson from all of this? Check with your insurance to see if you are in a flood zone, and consider buying that flood insurance! We don't qualify, because we "Aren't on a floodplain," ahem. But we will buy additional insurance against water backing up into our basement again. Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment