Navigation Bar

Friday, January 23, 2015

Guest Author: J. Arlene Culiner!



Today, I welcome author J. Arlene Culiner, who's here today to talk about her latest contemporary romance, A SWAN'S SWEET SONG, which goes on sale today! Born in New York, raised in Toronto, J. Arlene Culiner has spent most of her life in England, Germany, Turkey, Greece, Hungary and the Sahara. She now resides in a 400-year-old former inn in a French village. Much to everyone's dismay, she protects all living creatures - especially spiders and snakes - and her wild (or wildlife) garden is a classified butterfly and bird reserve. (Way to go, J. Arlene - a woman after my own heart!)

About A SWAN'S SWEET SONG:

The instant Sherry Valentine and Carston Hewlett meet, there's desire and fascination in the air…but they're complete opposites.

Smart-talking Sherry fought her way up from poverty to stardom as a country music singer. Now, she's ever in the limelight, ever surrounded by clamoring fans, male admirers and paparazzi, and her spangled cowboy boots carry her all across the country, from one brightly lit stage to the next.

A renowned but reclusive playwright, Carston cherishes his freedom, the silence of his home in the woods and his solitary country walks. Any long-term commitment is obviously out of the question: how about a quick and passionate fling?

But when their names are linked in the scandal press, Sherry's plans to become an actress are revealed. Is their budding relationship doomed?

An Interview With J. Arlene

1) How did you get started writing?

Like most authors, I've always written. At age twelve, I completed an autobiography: my experiences during the Second World War. Needless to say, as sincere as I was in writing the thing, it was pure fantasy. The war was well over by the time I was born. My mother threw the manuscript away when I was away for the summer.

2) What interests or excites you most about your genre(s)?

When I write Contemporary Romance, I love the feeling of falling in love. When (under another name) I write historical narrative non fiction, the research and travel is thrilling. Don't ask me to choose!

3) Who or what is your favorite inspiration when writing?

Life

4) Tell me about your latest book or work in progress.

In, A Swan's Sweet Song, my hero and heroine are older – in their 50s. I prefer writing about second (or third or forth) chance romances. I find older characters more interesting — they've had more time to acquire experience and wisdom, but they're just as vulnerable when it comes to love. I also like to write about sincere, honest people who are definitely not attracted to designer clothing, money, flashy cars, Botox or all the other trappings of the consumer society.

5) Please share with us the first paragraph of your latest work.

He was going on the air with a singer of country music?

How could these people expect Carston Hewlett, mature, well-known urban playwright, to sit with some prepubescent pop star and chitchat about broken hearts or lonesome cowboys? And why the hell had Nick Spring, his New York agent, sent him all the way out here to Midville, to participate in this so-called Culture Festival? Carston decided he'd strangle Nick as soon as he got within pouncing distance of the guy.


Thanks for visiting with us today! To learn more, you can visit J. Arlene at her website at http://www.j-arleneculiner.com!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for joining me, J. Arlene! Your book sounds wonderful. Good luck with it! :)

    ReplyDelete