Navigation Bar

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Garden Update

Not much to talk about yet in the gardening department. I have romaine leaf lettuce now ready to be picked, and I have harvested the year's first crop of beans:

These beans are the "Royal Burgundy" variety, and some of them grow purple on the plant! They turn green when cooked, and trust me when I say they are light years better cooked fresh from your garden than anything that can be bought canned or frozen. I had forgotten how tasty fresh beans were. They are a "bush" variety, too, which means they don't need staking. Next year, I will be making a container for them all by themselves, they're so good.

My tomatoes were off to a slow start, and I think the copious amounts of rain killed off my hopes for eggplant and peppers, but we have corn! My husband wanted to plant corn in our raised-bed garden this year to see how well it does, and apparently it is doing swimmingly. I hope it tastes as good as it's looking! And the nice thing is, we will have cornstalks to decorate our house for fall! Oh, fall (and cooler weather) ... hurry up and get here! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment