Navigation Bar

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Movie Review: "Slumdog Millionaire"

People have said it before me and probably said it better. Wow, what a movie!

Y'know how you let a book sit on the shelf forever and then kick yourself for not having read it sooner? This was that sort of thing for me. I never saw it in the theater, but I heard about all the good reviews it got. So I rented it this weekend, and it was fantastic.

I'm not even sure how to classify it, except that it's a movie about a kid from the slums that makes good...and you're gonna care why and how, right from the opening sequence. I don't think I have felt this bad for a character since Will Smith in The Pursuit of Happyness. All of the protagonists in the film inspire that same empathy. (And let me say that Freida Pinto is probably one of the most gorgeous women ever. Might have to use her as inspiration for my next heroine!)

If you're a writer, watch this movie for the way it strikes empathy from the word go. If you're just a movie buff, watch this movie because it tells a terrific story of hardship, family, betrayal, redemption, loss, and love. But definitely watch it, especially if you've been on the fence about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment