Navigation Bar

Thursday, December 27, 2012

We're All In This Together

This morning, the driving was pretty sketchy. Here in Central NY, we got a good foot or more of snow, and while the plows were doing their best to keep up, the roads were messy enough to warrant some careful maneuvering. Everything went fine until I arrived at work, where I got stuck in the bottom of the driveway. I went into the building to look for help, and while I was waiting, a couple of guys in a plow stopped to ask if I needed a hand. When I responded that I could use a push, they drove their plow in (via another entrance). Not only did they give me that push, but they shoveled and plowed me a clear path. I called my thanks out the window, but I had to drive around the building, rather than risk stopping and getting stuck again. My two good Samaritans were gone before I could get a name, or find out how to mail them a thank-you.

This is just one of the many examples that restores my faith in people, each time it happens. I believe mankind is basically good at heart, with a willingness to help when we see a need and are able to do so. It seems we still realize, when it comes down to nuts and bolts, that people need each other.

So this is a public thank-you to the two young men who helped me out this morning, without asking anything in return. I may not be able to thank them personally, but maybe I can pay that kindness forward. ‘Cause we’re all in this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment