Navigation Bar

Thursday, October 04, 2012

How To Make A Smile

My husband made some kids very happy this morning at my son's before- and after-school program ... and he wasn't even there.

The kids at this program are given a choice of things to do during their stay, ranging from crayons and books to games. Many mornings, I find them gathered around an old wooden chessboard, playing chess. The board is missing a few of its pieces, so the kids had been making do with checker pieces and Legos as stand-ins for the missing chess pieces.

My husband, who loves chess, thought this was a shame, so off he went to a gaming store to buy an inexpensive, full set of chess pieces. When my son and I brought them in this morning, the teachers at the program were thrilled, and so were the kids. They left off every other thing they were doing to play chess. Lots of smiles and thank-yous all around. For under ten bucks, he made someone's day by being a little kinder. If only everyone would do something like that every once in a while, imagine how much nicer a world it would be!

No comments:

Post a Comment