Navigation Bar

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

In Praise of Rain

Most kids remember singing "Rain, rain, go away, come again some other day," me included. Rain used to mean staying indoors when all you wanted was to go outside and play ball, chase your friends, or ride a bike. As I got older, I found a whole new appreciation for rain.

One of the major reasons for this is that I have developed seasonal allergies. Grass, I think, because for a few weeks out of the year, I'm miserable, with a head like a cinder block. Spring is beautiful. Still my favorite season, when the flowers and bees and butterflies and birds all return to my yard. But it brings with it my allergies, which seem to be worsening each year. Yyyyyuck.

Rain is now my seasonal best friend. It washes the pollen out of the air, and I don't have a splitting headache on those days. It also helps water my gardens, which, yay. Yesterday, when it was 90-plus degrees and sunny, my allergies were at the worst they've ever been. Today, Mother Nature took pity, because I woke to a nice steady rain. I can only hope it lasts all day. Yay, rain. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment