Navigation Bar

Monday, January 26, 2009

Movie Review - "Inkheart"

OK, it wasn't rocket science. But there were some really fun moments in this fantasy movie aimed at the pre-teen/tween crowd. Inkheart, based on the first book in a trilogy by Cornelia Funke, follows the story of bookbinder Mortimer and his daughter Maggie. Maggie is unaware that her father is a "Silvertongue," capable of bringing literary characters to life by reading a book aloud. Nine years ago, "Mo" accidentally read his wife, Maggie's mother, into a book and discovered this unusual talent. Since then, he's been searching for a copy of the rare book (aptly titled Inkheart) to try to read her back out of it. Meanwhile, he learns that he has read some of the book's evil characters out into the real world as well, along with a flawed character called Dustfinger (played by the always riveting Paul Bettany).

As a writer, I found this to be an enjoyable movie with a fun premise, and I quickly began sorting through my own manuscripts to see which one I'd read out loud. (Yes, I decided on one, and no, my hero didn't pop out into real life--darn.) So while I wouldn't call this movie particularly cerebral, it was a nice way to spend a Sunday. Some of the imagery is wonderful, as the story takes place in Italy. While it seems to be the latest in a slew of children's fantasy books made into movies, it's definitely not the worst one to be had. It certainly made the little kid in me happy for an afternoon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment